Sample Page – Monster has listed some questions that everyone should ask themselves before accepting any new job. Do you agree or disagree with this list below. What would you add?
By: Chrissy Scivicque @ Monster College
- Is this a long-term career move? If not, what does this position offer in the way of experience and/or connections that will put me in a better position for achieving my long-term career goals in the future? How long do I need to stay in order to gain these advantages?
- If this is a short-term career move, what is the purpose of it? Am I running away from something I DON’T want or running towards something I DO want?
- Does this position challenge my mental abilities?
- Am I capable of, and comfortable with, doing the tasks for which I would be responsible?
- Do I fully understand the expectations of the role?
- Will the company provide me with the necessary resources to be successful?
- Does this position utilize my talents and skills?
- Will I be able to offer a valuable contribution?
- Will I be proud to be associated with the company’s brand, product and/or services?
- Does the company culture appear to be in line with my values?
- Is the office location a comfortable distance from home? Will the commute potentially be a problem and if so, how will I overcome it?
- Have my interactions with other employees been comfortable and friendly?
- Can I envision feeling at home with the other employees socially?
- Does my direct supervisor appear to be a supportive individual from whom I can learn?
- Is the work environment conducive to my own work style?
- Will the work feel professionally satisfying?
- Financially, will this job provide me with a desirable lifestyle? If not, does it have the potential to in the future?
- Will the benefits package meet my needs?
- Is there opportunity for future professional growth?
- Are there any potential problems I can foresee in accepting this job? If so, how will I avoid them and/or overcome them?
I also would add, “How will this position affect my home life and relationships?”
thank you for the post! great list and questions to consider!
Good list to consider. Would ad How can I be a asset to this company? What can I do better than anyone else that will make me in high demand with them?
Excellent list! All good things to consider.
All good questions!